lichess.org
Donate

Everything you want to know about Lichess v2

I like it. No issues here and it looks great.

If you were zoomed in previously (like I was to make the board bigger), make sure you set your zoom level to 0% (ctrl+0 in firefox). The new site looks better if you're not zoomed.
I think that the new site is not good for desktop users with big monitors and normal pixel density. Fonts are huge and the space is badly organized.

The problem is not v2 vs v1, new code and features are always welcome, the problem is that the choice for the new ui was all about fluidity of the design and pleasant results on mobile.

What could be done to improve the experience of desktop users? Let the users (or a selected subset of them) upload their custom css to the site for everybody to use to adjust the size and position of ui elements.

Relying on other sites (like stylish) or crude adjustments like zooming out to make the experience better is not a good choice.
Yes I have a big monitor, and everything is being displayed either too big if I zoom in or too compact when I zoom out. If it was still possible to add some little blank spaces between the elements on the page I would be grateful. Otherwise I feel somewhat overwhelmed by the new space distribution.
I will take my time to check out the new version of Lichess. I think it will work for me.
Just two notes:
On the home screen with the overview of the running games I really like to see nine games one one glance. Now there are onyl six and I have to scroll down to see the rest (though no big deal for me):
imgur.com/a/cYqub1F
Maybe this is only in my head ;) - but to me the pieces on the chessboard look a little unsharp, I thin the outlines were clearer before. Even the structure of the board (if you chose an according theme) looke more fuzzy to me. But not sure about this impression, second opinion?

EDIT: I just read the bug "blurry pieces" are already recognized by @thibault and his team. But actually the pieces are even blurry at 100 % view on my Chrome browser (Version 74.0.3729.131 64-bit on Win10).
@kggthxbai: and anyone else: large fonts are a part of accessibility design. Yes, they're maddening to some of us. But, they're here to stay. Try a search on PluralSight. The search box is like 80px. I could read it from across the room. Many other new sites are the same. ☹️

I have no issues with functionality on the desktop. Browser is Chrome, up-to-date, on Win7 Pro. 24" monitor.

On this tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab E, (a few years old), I have an issue with the drop-down menus. When opening a menu by short press, the menu doesn't stick open, to allow selection. Instead, the first item is selected. The workaround is to long press until the browser selection dialog appears, then "escape" it to return to the page. Now, the menu is open for selection of the proper item.

Also on this tablet, the board resize thumb doesn't work very well. I had difficulty finding the proper screen area to get hold of it. (I'm using a stylus, but my finger didn't work any better.) Once I did, the resize action was very slow. So slow that I doubted I'd actually completed the action. Perhaps, it would be possible to put it on the outside edge of the board.

Overall, the site is very nicely done. Of the 4 sites on which I have accounts - others being ChessBase, chess.com, freechess.org - this site is far and away the best looking. Thanks.
with his liches V2 you hurt half the players lichess and including me I normally can't create study when you want to remove a piece he removes and other player he can't play and I have noticed that lichess TV no chat

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.