lichess.org
Donate

who likes the new +500 -500 rating range?

well who does? i personally don't but what does everyone think? if your too lazy to type just thumbs up(i like the new system) or thumbs down(i don't like it) this post
I like it.

A nice addition would be if I could exclude provisional ratings.
There have been many threads on this in the past week. Some have criticized it, some just wondered why the change was just installed without further communication of the whereabouts. I understood it has something to do with preventing sandbagging.

But I think it is through now.
If people weren't talking about it I wouldn't even notice.
I hate it. I like to play people that are at least +100 above me. Can't do that now. Also some like to play those only 2000 and up. Now you have to change the range after every game that your rating changes, and only in increments of 50. I wish they would have left both systems in place.
Its garbage. Which forces you to turn down games now. Also you cant play opponents who are ranked higher than 500 hundred above your rating. Players like me, prefer unrated games, my "rating" is low because I dont care to compete constantly, my rating doesnt reflect my ability at all. I play when I cook lol. I play way higher ranked players. Now I cant challenge them? I have to raise my ranking now. It sucks, and I guess the geeks dont under stand FREEDOM. Look it up. Thanks for placing arbitrary limits on whom I can play. Bad idea. What are you communists?? Now I have to waste my time on crap players, isn't that INCLUSIVE and nice? Crap system.
This new system is an absolutely devastating idea. Being given the possibility to challenge players ranked much higher than me was the only reason why I decided to play on Lichess rather than elsewhere. This possibility did not harm anyone (noone has to accept a challenge) and was appreciated by quantities of highly ranked players. I'm grateful to all of them — especially those I managed to beat :) — as playing against them helped me a lot in my chess (slow) evolution.

I now consider going back to chess.com or elsewhere, with real sadness as Lichess, until this disastrous decision, was an incredibly admirable success.

Any hope of a return to reason ?
A complete waste of time. I had set my rating preference at +/- 50 points of my rating. I almost always got into engaging games. My experience is that players with a rank of 1500? time out games with more frequency than players with more experience on the website. With this new system, I must abort multiple games to get a challenge that looks promising. Waste of time for everyone.
I agree in principal with what the system enforces. If a 600 rated player wants to play 2000+ (Not pointing fingers at anyone) and a 2000+ rated player also wants to play 2000+, who would play against the <2000 players ? I know this is hyperbole but I think they are bringing a lot of accountability into their rating system. You don't want to play someone lower rated than you ? Fine. You have that option. You don't want to play someone higher rated than you ? Fine. You have that option too. But you can't run away from playing someone your own rating. You most certainly cannot try to leapfrog and play in the next rating category (if you really want to, earn your place by beating your peers) or sandbag and play in the lower category.

I do think however that unrated games should be free of this limitation. I think it was just an implementation oversight because the point of unrated games is to be able to do any BS without any accountability and they should have the full spectrum available for casual seeks.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.